Steps to register marriage
A marriage certificate can be termed as the legal document for completing the ceremony of marriage. This certificate provides details of two people who have undertaken the marriage ceremony. The need for a marriage certificate arises due to prove the fact that two people are legally married to one another. This certificate provides a strong documentation for obtaining other documents like changing the name of the maiden and other things. In order to obtain the certificate for marriage the first thing needs to be done is to register the marriage. The eligibility criteria to get married and obtain a legal document of marriage certificate are to obtain an age of 21 years old for a male candidate and 18 years for a female candidate. It is compulsory to attain to full fill this age criteria otherwise it not be regarded as a lawful marriage and the marriage certificate cannot be obtained.
- The certificate of marriage obtained by a person in Tamil Nadu is the proof of marriage.
- The certificate of marriage is obtained from the sub registrar’s office who issues this certificate.
- In Tamil Nadu the marriages are registered under Hindu marriage Act 1955 or Special marriage Act 1954. There is a strong need to get eligible for the prescribed age which is 21 years for a male person and 18 years for a female person.
- The concerned person for a Hindu marriage should be unmarried or divorced or married previously the spouse should be dead. The concerned persons should be mentally healthy.
- The Hindu marriage act is for the Hindu people and the special marriage Act is for all the citizens.
- Apart from offline process, the certificates can also be applied on online process too with proper information.
- The main document required is the marriage card.
Proof of Identity (Any -1)
Proof of Address (Any -1)
Other Documents (Any -1)
Age Proof (In Case of Minor) (Any -1)
Procedure to Apply
- The marriage card needs to be presented before the registrar.
- The registration form needs to be filled up after filling up of all the necessary fields of information.
- The form should be submitted to the sub registrar of the locality where the marriage is taking place with a address proof.
- The couple needs to be presented before the registrar with their parents as a witness for the couple and should be done before one month from the date of marriage.
How to Get Marriage Certificate Online
The marriage registration department of Tamil Nadu has introduced the process of online method to apply for marriage certificates. This process is for the couples who have already applied for the certificate in the registrar office. The process is very simple. The couple needs to find the details on the website which is tnreginet.com and then have to choose the district name. The dates need to be filled which is exact date. The details will be available in the website and needs to be matched with the registrar name as the couple has already registered them before in the registrar office. After conforming all the details the couple needs to press the apply button.
|Circle/State||Official Website||Download Application Form|
|Application form for registration of marriage in Andhra Pradesh|
|Application form for registration of marriage in Rajasthan|
|Application form for registration of marriage in Assam|
|Application form for registration of marriage in Punjab|
|Application form for registration of marriage in Delhi|
|Application form for registration of marriage in Tamilnadu|
|Application form for registration of marriage in Kerala|